a tool for localization support
Domenico Chierico
2012-12-17 10:08:55 UTC
In this days I start working on an helper tool for localization.
The basic idea is to collect all missing keys, that need to be translated,
into a single file on which translator can work, later the script add the
translated keys into the right file.

For this I've written a little tool (not final) that gives an example of
how the things should work.

You can use the tool for scanning the tree for the properties files and
match each file against the translations tree, the missing keys are
appended (with english text) to a file named "missing.properties". For this
step you should run the script like this:

./localization_helper -l it (for italian)

so you work on missing.properties translating the keys or deleting the
unwanted ones. for apply all the remaining keys you must run:

./localization_helper missing.properties

Now the script works just on sipXconfig and we should improve the code that
find the properties file and some other details.

before actual applying the keys you could run:

./localization_helper -s missing.properties

that simulating the action will show you which key and where it will be
applied

I'm not an expert about the translation work, so i wish to know what do you
think about it and if you consider this a valid help.

Thanks
Domenico Chierico
Domenico Chierico

Domenico Chierico
Douglas Hubler
2012-12-17 14:44:43 UTC
Proof may be in the pudding as you iterate thru a translation exercise.

This tool relies on english properties files not having too many
obsolete entries. A whole other problem that need tackling someday,
but we don't have to worry about that now.

Domenico Chierico
Domenico Chierico
2012-12-17 15:50:49 UTC
I'm using it for updating the Italian translation, and 'till now I've no
such problem.

Yes I've let the problem of obsolete entries as second step, after we have
a fully functional analisys tool, able to check for each properties file,
we could add some features to check other sides of the keys.

I'm sure that some functions inside the code need to be improved to match
the reality ('cause I've implemented it in empirical way):

like:

LocalizationFile.is_valid
LocalizationFile.initialize (for the section where I try to translate the
original path into destination path)