Incorrect Twinkle Softphone Docs on Wiki
Adrien Guillon
2012-12-12 15:55:58 UTC

I don't think the sipfoundry wiki is writable by the public, but I do have
a problem to report.

On page: http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/sipXecs/Twinkle+1.4.2+Softphone

Under user it states:

Input a name, your User name (sipXecs extension or line or number), Domain
(server IP or FQDN); then add your Authentication name (sipXecs user) and
Password (sipXecs SIP Password).

Unfortunately, this isn't correct. The domain must be the FQDN, an IP
address isn't good enough. I did that, and got a bunch of 404 errors,
until I tried an FQDN, then everything just worked.

Thanks,

AJ
Tony Graziano
2012-12-12 16:15:38 UTC
Its not writable by the public. You can request an account to have edit
rights though.

I always have problems with the differing reports for softphones. I think
it needs to be stated whether the user is local or remote. In general,
using the IP or FQDN is discouraged but not all softphones are dutiful and
can resolve SRV records.

It might also depend on what "version" and/or OS your softphone is on,
because the same software package for different operating systems have
(sometimes) differing degrees of functionality. So if you report or edit
the wiki, please provide "OS" and whether you are local or remote. This
does, of course, assume a properly configured system and DNS records.

Thanks,

Tony
Post by Adrien Guillon
Hi,
I don't think the sipfoundry wiki is writable by the public, but I do have
a problem to report.
http://wiki.sipfoundry.org/display/sipXecs/Twinkle+1.4.2+Softphone
Input a name, your User name (sipXecs extension or line or number), Domain
(server IP or FQDN); then add your Authentication name (sipXecs user) and
Password (sipXecs SIP Password).
Unfortunately, this isn't correct. The domain must be the FQDN, an IP
address isn't good enough. I did that, and got a bunch of 404 errors,
until I tried an FQDN, then everything just worked.
Thanks,
AJ
Tony Graziano, Manager
Telephone: 434.984.8430
sip: ***@voice.myitdepartment.net
Fax: 434.465.6833
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linked-In Profile:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tony-graziano/14/4a6/7a4
Ask about our Internet Fax services!

Using or developing for sipXecs from SIPFoundry? Ask me about sipX-CoLab
2013!
<http://sipxcolab2013.eventbrite.com/?discount=tony2013>
Telephone: 434.984.8426
sip: ***@voice.myitdepartment.net