4.6 Voicemail suggestions & Hunt Group weirdness
Philippe Laurent
2012-12-17 17:35:39 UTC
I'm deploying a new sipx system as a 'favor' to a local club, and decided
that since 4.6 was the latest incarnation, that I should start there,
rather than face an upgrade in the future. So...

Using 4.6, I would like to be able to dump any number of extensions into
one voice mailbox, rather than use individual mailboxes for each account.
These extensions are rung by a hunt group, but are also reachable as
individual extensions within the building.

Not knowing how else to do it, I've configured a Forward in each extension
to ring the extension for 20 seconds, and then if no answer forward to the
common voicemail extension. Voicemail permissions have been disabled in the
called extension. In testing, calling the extension directly results in
routing straight to voicemail, and calling the hunt group in which the
extension is listed also results in a direct dumpt to voicemail. Removing
the Forward resulted in a successful ringing of the phones in either the
direct or Hunt Group calls, but of course with no voicemail option. I have
not tried going to an Auto Attendant as part of the final routing prior to
voicemail.

Additionally, within the Hunt Group testing, if any one of the extensions
is not registered (a few of these are portable devices - Unidata mostly),
then the Hunt Group fails and the incoming call goes straight into
voicemail. If all devices in the Hunt Group are present, then the Hunt
Group works normally. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

As part of the troubleshooting, I started all of the services, just in case
there was some dependency of which I wasn't aware, with the intent of
shutting the unnecessary ones one-by-one once the the concept worked
correctly.

Many thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Philippe